The meaning of Christmas is easily trumped by the shiny tree, delicious food, and paper-wrapped gifts. That’s not to say that any of that is bad– far from it– but you want to make sure that those things are Christ-centered and good for your family’s faith. I try to incorporate meaning into our food, and focus on the fact that it’s nourishment for our bodies fro Him. Our Advent calendar is actually a stack of wrapped books (see how I pull that off here). In fact, I have all sorts of Advent traditions to keep us paying attention to the reason for the season. When it comes to gifts, though, we want them to be fun for our sweet boys while still furthering their minds and souls. Catholic Christmas gifts for kids can be hard to find, but I’ve rounded up some great ones that our boys have loved!
I know it seems early to be planning for Christmas gifts, but I prefer to buy a couple a month in the months leading up to it, rather than having to spend a ton in one month on the entire family’s gifts. Plus, it gives me more time to think of fantastic ideas if I’ve already checked some off the list.
We choose something for them to wear (usually matching pj’s that they get to open the night before), something for them to read (often a book that will challenge them, as well as a Catholic one), something that they’ve really been wanting (generally the least meaningful, but the most fun for them to open), and something they need (this is a loosely used term when they’re as little as ours are, but eventually it’ll be more need-based).
Catholic Christmas Gifts for Kids
- Wooden Bead Rosary— We got this one for the boys to “play” with during Mass. It keeps their hands busy, but still occupied by something Catholic-y. If your little ones are littler, this one is non-toxic so they can chew on it without worrying about it.
- Olive Wood Nativity— Hand-crafted in the Holy Land, this nativity was gifted to us by my parents a couple of years ago. It’s absolutely beautiful and fairly indestructible. It probably won’t be their favorite gift of the year (although my kids LOVE playing with it) but it will be for years to come, handed down to them and then their kids and their grandkids.
- Book of Saints— This book is fantastic for your list of Catholic Christmas gifts for kids because it not only talks about individual saints’ stories, but it also covers WHY we have saints, HOW they become saints, WHAT children can learn from their lives and actions, etc.
- Totally Catholic CD— Our kids LOVE dancing to these songs in the car and I turn them on in the mornings while we get ready. It keeps them from being sucked into the TV and puts us all in the right mindset for the day!
- Catholic Mass Felt Set— My little sister got this for Matthew for his baptism and we LOVE it. It lays super flat in a purse so it takes up virtually no space in my church bag, but keeps him engaged in Mass because he can reenact the Mass as it’s happening.
- “More than Rubies” Shirt— Speaking of “something to wear,” this shirt is sparkly AND meaningful for any beautiful young lady.
- “Jesus is my Superhero” Shirt— I’d say this would be the boy counterpart, but let’s be honest, most girls would be super excited to have this shirt. Who DOESN’T want a Batman shirt that talks about Jesus?
- Catholic Bling— Y’all, my kids LOVE getting to decorate their backpacks. What’s better than putting some Catholic pins on them? These would make great stocking stuffers, too.
- Bearnice the Polar Bear— This thing is stinkin’ adorable, sings “Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow,” and has several different textures to make it fun for kids from age 0-5. A snuggly prayer buddy would be the perfect Catholic Christmas gift for kids.
- Baby Jesus Soft Doll— What would a Catholic Christmas gifts for kids list be without a baby Jesus on it somewhere? This one is super soft and handmade, perfect for snuggling to sleep on Christmas night.